Hey y'all so, I have had a real problem with my hair in the last 2 months, so bad that my stylist made me stop using my hair straightener. Anyway, lately my hair has come back to life using a few tips and tricks my hair stylist has taught me!
1. Taking Too Long To Get Your Next Cut/Trim: I used to do this ALL the time! I would get my hair cut then wait 6 months later to get it re-cut! Problem: well, if you LOVE your cut at the moment it will be harder for your stylist to re-shape it and even though you might think "the less I get it cut, the longer it will grow", the complete opposite happens... the longer you wait the more your ends split, resulting in more hair to cut so to prevent this, trim your hair about every six weeks.
2. Washing Your Hair Every Single Day: I'm pretty sure a lot of you know this already but when you wash your hair every day, it might feel refreshing but it strips your hair of oils resulting in dry, limp hair that no one wants. So, try to wash it every other day and if you can go longer than that, well go for it just please try to wash your hair at least once a week.
3. Blow-Drying Your Hair At The Highest Heat Setting: The heat of your dryer doesn't give you the smoothest hair, it's actually the air that comes out. When it is on the highest, it will dry faster but it fries and frizzes your hair a lot more. Try using the lower settings, although it may take longer it is better for your hair!
4. Brushing Your Hair When It's Wet: This is a very common tip, but it is an important one. If you have to use a wide tooth comb to get out tangles but if you're planning on styling your hair doesn't adapt until its 80% dry anyway, so just wait it out. Brushing your hair when its wet leads to the breakage of your hair since it is at its most vulnerable and weakest at this time.
5. Mixing Hair Sprays With Heating Tools: I was not aware of this one until my stylist told me, however I barely use hairspray anyways. When you spray your hair while its on your iron (curling/straightening) it begins to fry! That nasty sound you hear when you do this or iron your hair while it's wet IS your hair frying. When the alcohol from your hairspray meets the heat of your iron it begins to burn. Use a heat protector to style and then after you can use your hairspray to lock it in.
6. Using Too Much Moisture Products: It is appealing when your have dry hair to pick out an "ultra-hydrating" product but using too much can actually weigh your hair down... a lot! Instead of putting a whole handful of the product on your head, use just a dab so it moisturizes but doesn't weigh down.
7. Dyeing Your Hair All-Over For A Root Touch-Up: When touching up your roots you do NOT need to overlap your coloured strands with more colour. Just apply it to your roots to avoid over-porcessed hair... eww.
8. Neglecting Your Bangs: Bangs affect your whole cut, so don't just hold them off until your next appointment, my stylist told me to go in every 3-4 weeks to get a shape-up. Costly, right? WRONG! Most saloons offer a complimentary bang cut, so you have nothing to lose.
So, there you have it 8 tips to keep your hair looking smooth, shiny and healthy. If you have any other tips you would like to share or questions leave them down in the comments section! Hope this helped!
xoxo, Taylor <3